15 Ways to Prove Murphy’s Law on a Trip

Objective: To prove, “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong” on a trip.

Physical Conditions: Two subjects (travellers representing each gender) set on a cross/inter country trip, using a combination of public and private transport, indulged in local food and stayed in tents/hostels/hotels. The time period spans under a decade.

sigb

Subjects’ Observations:

1. When you’re stuck in a mountain pass for two hours, sandwiched between ginormous trucks, your bladder will decide it’s time to out the bottles of water you gulped to prevent AMS.

2. Your happiness of having made it to the ‘World’s Highest Motorable Pass’ is short lived, when you hear that diabolical rumble in your stomach.

3. You’re relieved to get your first flat tyre and take a break from the winding mountain roads. And then you get your next flat, on a desolate mountain road, with a vehicular frequency of a car over an hour.

4. As your aircraft takes off, you feel a thump accompanied with a sharp burning smell,  and you know it can’t be your meal that’s getting heated.

5. It’s a perfectly sunny day when you start to pitch your tent. And then it starts to rain.

6. You trust your GPS system blindly. Then it stops working. Only after taking you to an isolated forest route.

7. You order something that you cannot understand. The waiter smiles at you and says that you have made an excellent choice.

8. You cover your head (ostrich technique) to avoid eye contact with Mr. creepy traveller in your multi-dorm hostel. And when you decide to take a peak, you see the same guy asking if he can close the blinds.

9. You’ve finally decided to tell people of an epic trip. That’s when a volcano erupts,  you’re dormant wisdom tooth wants to make an appearance, the seasonal rains cause a deluge, and a major political leader departs his earthly abode.

10. You think you can catch a power nap before your connecting flight. You wake-up five minutes before the flight departs, with all the people around you, already in the plane.

11. You finally made it to your destination. Now all you need to do is find that house. You use a combination of sign-language, broken language, and wrong maps to ask around. After one hour, you realise you had been walking around in circles.

12. The safari guide says you might get lucky and spot a tiger. It’s a rhino park, but you don’t argue. And then, you end up finding more rhino crap than tiger pug marks.

13. You punch your exit metro card, but forget to move fast enough with your suitcase and get stuck behind bars.  You have to depend on unruly local kids to pry them open.

14. You go through the effort of making a tourist permit to enter a border mountain town. Turns out, it’s a Sunday, everything’s closed except for army patrols.

15. You walk double the distance, from the metro, to your hotel. On the last day, you discover a tram station 5 minutes away.

Inference: On multiple occasions, it was noted that Murphy’s law was correct with an accuracy of 99.9%. Luck amounted to the other 0.1 % .

Conclusion: A discerning traveller must make ample room for Murphy’s Law in his/her itinerary. It’s not an urban legend. For when you think you’ve escaped it, it hits you harder. Taking the path of least resistance will not help.

Suggested Reading: Some of Murphy’s Law & The complete edition of Murphy’s Law

 

11 responses to “15 Ways to Prove Murphy’s Law on a Trip

  1. Murphy’s Law is the law of my land 🙂

    When travelling, especially with two dogs (international flights are a pain), I just expect that everything will go wrong. The bright side is that the unexpected surprises are where you get your best stories…seems you guys have a lot of stories 🙂

  2. Pingback: Those feet are surely getting noticed! | twobrownfeet·

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s